 |
| Mountain view from Hanalei Bay |
It's been almost a week that we've been here in Kauai, and I still can't get over the view of the mountains every time we leave to go somewhere. The beaches are just as beautiful, and I'm overwhelmed by the stunning scenery on this island. If anyone asked me which island to visit, I would definitely say this one. We've had a little bit of adventure, but mostly have laid low since we've been here.
We arrived on Monday, scoped out a grocery store, which led to a crazy expensive bill, then settled into our new condo. It's a cute place, with a slightly Asian feel, right on the golf course in Princeville. Princeville is about a 5 minute drive from Hanalei, which is a quintessential beach town on the edge of the world. It's right on Hanalei Bay, which is a crescent beach stretching 2 miles from end to end. We stopped by there when we first arrived to take in the beauty of it, and plan out a beach trip.
 |
| The beach at the "End of the Road" |
 |
| Donnie, the super hiker |
After a good night's sleep, albeit weird without Paul, we decided to try our hand at the Kalalau trail. This is an 11 mile stretch of trail along the Na'Pali coast, which becomes increasingly difficult the farther in you hike. You have to have a permit to do the full hike, but the first 6 miles in you can do without the permit. It was so packed down there at the "end of the road" (literally, the road ends at the trail), that we parked a mile away from the trailhead. Since we had a late start, we ended up agreeing to only hike 2 miles in, and save the rest for another day. The first mile is all uphill, and not just slightly uphill, like climbing up stairs uphill. But the scenery was breathtaking. It took us an hour to hike down to the 2 mile mark, then hiked back to our car 3 miles away. I couldn't stop taking pictures or just taking in the amazing view. There is no other way to explore the Na'Pali coast, except by helicopter or boat, so the raw natural beauty of it is just stunning. We were pretty spent after our hike, so we grabbed some food and drink at Kalypso, (which we have since become regulars at), and then came home for a bath and bed.
 |
| 2 Miles into the hike |
 |
| Na'Pali Coast, wow. |
The rest of the week has been uneventful. We've made some trips into Hanalei and over to Kapa'a, spent a few afternoons at the beach and the pool, tried to carve out a new running trail that won't kill us, and mostly have been relaxing at the condo. It's so weird to be parents without our child, sure we see him twice a day on Skype, but the amount of free time is overwhelming. It's hard not to feel unproductive and selfish, but I know he's having a good time back in San Antonio with Ron and Angie.
In two weeks we begin our journey back to San Antonio, and in less than 3 weeks we fly out for China, but it still doesn't seem real. We've seen our visas through Skype, and we know the deadline approaches, but we still have no idea about what our apartment looks like, where it will be or what life will be like after the next 3 weeks! Kind of scary, but also kind of exciting. I struggle between wanting to savor these beautiful days in Kauai and wanting to be back with Paul on our way to our new adventure. I know I need to soak up the relaxation while I have it, but it's hard when half your heart is in Texas.
 |
| An afternoon at Hanalei Bay |
In other news, my brother, Matt, is coming on Tuesday! We can't wait for him to get here. He'll be here for 5 days, but I know it will go by fast. I remember the lazy days we all spent together in Mexico, and I know we'll have a good time. More tears when he leaves though, I'm sick of tears. :(
 |
| Princeville sunset. |
Tomorrow we head off on a 5 hour boat cruise/snorkeling adventure, so we have to get to bed early because we have to be at the dock at 7:15. I can't wait to see the views of this gorgeous island by boat, and I'll post as soon as I can about that. :)
Till then, safe travels, Matt! And Andie, I miss you daily...hourly!! Love to all.
No comments:
Post a Comment