 |
| Paradise to me :) |
 |
| Surfing |
Lot's of people have asked me how I'm doing in "paradise," so I've done some contemplation on this. I do my thinking mostly when I'm running, trying to distract myself from the incredible difficulty I am facing. I get asked this question, with the implied answer being "wonderful!" But I have to say I don't think it's location that makes paradise. I know I'm saying this from one of the most beautiful places in the world, and I know it's beautiful. I just get this feeling that it wouldn't have mattered where we spent our summer. We may have well been in Port A, or Mexico. My point is, paradise is wherever you are. I think paradise is lazy summer mornings when Paul craws into bed with us and we watch cartoons. Or spending the evening cooking and enjoying a meal on the patio with your family. It is accented with an exotic locale or nice weather, but it is really found inside you.
 |
| YUMMMMM! |
Ok, with that said here's an update of what we've been doing in "paradise:"
 |
| Painted Church |
Since the days have blurred together, and I'm not sure the order of things, I'll do my best to recap. Last Friday I took my first surfing lesson since before Paul was born. It was successful in the sense that I did catch 2 waves and rode them to the shore, but it took about an hour of complete failure to get there. I refused to give up, my instructor was super supportive. I'm not sure how he kept his patience, watching me start to get up, then bail out whenever I lost my confidence. But the important thing is that I did it! Donnie was a great support and stayed out there and watched the whole thing. :)

Then next day we took a trip up into the hills to see the Painted Church. A missionary in the early 1900's thought he could better reach his congregation if he could show them pictures of important stories in the Bible. It was down a winding road, up in the hills, and the view was spectacular, both inside and outside the church. Then we went to eat at the Coffee Shack. It was no shack. Another incredible view, and homemade bread. We ate our fill and headed back down to Kailua-Kona.
 |
| More of the Painted Church |
 |
| Unbelievable! |
The next few days were lazy. We went to the pool for a long time on one of the days, then went to the beach another. Settling into a routine of running, doing a water activity, then taking a nap, and finally cooking and hanging out. It's a hard life here in paradise. ;)
 |
| Can you spot the fish? |
 |
| Kailua-Kona Bay |
On Wednesday, we went for a glass-bottom boat tour. Donnie, Paul and I wandered through town and looked at the first Christian Church built in Hawaii, then met Ron and Angie at the pier. It was a perfect boat trip, just an hour long and we could peek at the creature in the ocean below us. I had no idea how extensive the reef was and how close it was to shore. Paul had a good time spotting the fish, but I was glad it was only an hour. I would highly recommend it though, especially if you don't like snorkeling.
 |
| Patriotic Paul |
Thursday was a highly anticipated day because my sister Andie arrived! We picked her up at the airport and then whisked her away to A-bay to start her Hawaiian vacation off right. :) I'm so happy she's here, I just want to spend long lazy days with her and soak up all the time I can with her while we're together.
 |
| Dee-Dee's Here!! |
Thursday also happened to be the 4th of July, the first 4th we've been in the States for in I have no idea how long. But it was Paul's first experience with the holiday, since we were in Montreal his first summer, and Munich the next. We went down to the town for the parade, which was really just a lot of island people driving in cars. In fact, we had a hard time figuring out when the parade was over, and when normal traffic had started up again. At 8pm, there were fireworks over the bay. Paul was startled at first, but then mostly mesmerized by the beautiful display. I can honestly say, it was the most beautiful arrangement of fireworks I've ever seen. But then again, do you expect anything less of paradise? ;)
 |
| Watching the parade...sorta |
 |
| Fireworks! |
Anyway, I think that mostly catches up all that we've been up to. We leave Tuesday back to Oahu to spend the week there. I am trying to avoid thinking about the fact that Paul leaves with his grandparents in a week, and Andie leaves shortly after that. I am focusing on the moment and enjoying this time.
Oh! Our Chinese visas have been completed. They should arrive in Texas on Monday, and we will officially be allowed to travel to China. I hope that they are all in order, kind of nerve-wracking not getting to see them, but we'll have Ron and Angie open them to make sure their all there. It's been a long journey getting them, hard to believe that the process may actually be done. :)
Ok, off to enjoy the day!
J you are wise beyond your years. Love you!
ReplyDelete