Sunday, June 23, 2013

Running in Kona



Too Beautiful.
Let me start by saying, I am not a runner. Contrary to popular belief that I would spend all of my days running if I could, I actually have the hardest time staying motivated. Somedays I cannot imagine putting my feet down on the pavement and moving forward. Luckily, I've got a pretty motivated partner, and he reminds me that if I don't run my emotions get a little out of whack. I think pretty much any workout would suffice, but running is the cheapest and least time-consuming.

An early start for a race.
We've enjoyed our runs (for the most part) here in Kona, as we've gone up and down Ali'i drive, and over to the old airport, but there has been little variety. I thought when we ran here it would be filled with beautiful beaches to run on and cool sea breezes. I think I was thinking of the Texas coast. The beaches here are small, but beautiful, and the breezes are cool, but the sun is hotter. And Kona is not flat, it's hills are a challenge I don't take lightly.

Despite all the difficulty, we get up every morning, hoping to beat the heat, and pound the pavement. I've grown to recognize faces as we run, and I think people are starting to know us (at least that's my perception). I know it makes me feel better after it's over, but the challenge of daily runs never ends.

Pre-race pic
Today we challenged ourselves with the Kona Half-Marathon. It was my 7th half marathon and I really think it may have been the hardest one yet. I thought last year in Hamburg was hard, with the rain, and extreme cold, but now I know I was wrong. (Or maybe I just forget in the heat how cold I really was.) The race started early, which was good and the first few miles I hardly even noticed. When we reached the fourth mile, Paul was there with his grandparents to cheer us on. He mostly just got upset that we were running away from him, but I made my heart happy to see him. It was the first time he's seen us race. Donnie powered forward and I didn't see him again until the turnaround, and I struggled through every step. I try to keep smiling though, not really for the benefit of the other runners, because mostly if I let myself get too absorbed in all the mental power it takes to keep moving forward, I might not make it. So I smile to keep myself going, like an inside joke that I can laugh at the whole way. The last mile of the course was torture, a massive hill followed by a quarter mile of trail hills, followed by winding through a Sheraton Resort (including up and down stairs!). Needless to say, we were spent by the end of the race. Donnie made 1:57, I got a 2:05, but honestly I was happy to finish. :) We got sweet medals,  ate and drank the free food, and headed home.

I always say I don't know why people run longer races, but I really do know why. The feeling you get when you've finished a long amount of miles (which could be even 1 mile depending on the day!) is inexplicable. I understand the nature to push harder and go farther, that is the root of my being. But today I'm glad it was only 13.1 miles. I'm glad it was in "paradise," and I'm glad I get to curl up for a nap not long after. :)

This move to China feels like a marathon. It's long, it hurts, and it's hard to keep moving forward. But in the end, I hope it feels like the end of one of these races. Because that will be so rewarding. :)

Donnie waving hi to Paul.

Me, still smiling.

3 comments:

  1. Smile on, beautiful daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. Reminds me so much of my running experience so far! Funny because what started me running was the thought that I could become a runner like you. Well, you had me fooled!

    ReplyDelete