So sorry for the large gap in posting to this blog, it's been a very busy season. But now we're back in Shenzhen so I think I can update with what we did. I won't go into total detail because I think that would make this post ridiculously long and a lot of the people that read it were there to experience it. But I'll do my best.Matt arrived and we filled up his days with a visit to the Marienplatz to taste our first gluhwein. After that, the days sort of blur together. We did take a visit to the Allianz Arena where FC Bayern plays. Donnie and I are cursed in a way that whenever we are in Munich, there are no soccer games. The closest we could get is to take a tour of the stadium. It was impressive, but I think FC Barcelona has them out-done. From there we went to Weihenstephaner, a favorite of ours in Freising. The last time we were there, I was pregnant and we were with Kell, it was fun thinking back on those times, and nothing there has changed (it's Germany's oldest brewery). On another day, we took a drive to Andech's. This was a gorgeous church where the monks brew beer, so there is a beer hall on the grounds. It was a perfect balance for Donnie and his parents. Paul even lasted about halfway through the German service before joining the boys. A different day was spent driving to Garmisch, then taking the train up to the Zugspitze. Donnie, Ron and Angie and I had been there in 2009 on our trip to Dublin and side trip to Munich, but it was in the middle of a snow storm so you couldn't see much. This was the exact opposite. It was remarkably clear and so stunning. Donnie and Paul did some sledding and Matt decided to come back the next day to go snow boarding. It was a long day, but memorable.

Mom arrived on Christmas eve, and it was so wonderful having her there. Her spirit lifts my spirit and it feels like Christmas when your mom is there. :) We had a low-key day, and went to bed with our gifts wrapped! A first for us. :) Andie came the next morning, a perfect Christmas present. I get teary-eyed thinking about how wonderful it was to see her walking towards us and how happy I was that she'd finally arrived. I really didn't need any other Christmas presents. The day went as usual, we took forever to open presents, but that's half the fun. :) Then everybody dispersed to their rooms to rest, or play with new gifts. We gathered together again for Christmas curry, a tradition 4 years running. :)![]() |
| PAAARTY!! |
Matt left early the next day, and we all had another low key day. Andie and I tried to go shopping, but Munich was shut down still for the holiday. It was nice to walk around with her though. The next day was Paul's 3rd birthday, and he was so excited! We made a failed attempt to go ice-skating, then played at home the rest of the day. He was so happy to dig into his requested chocolate cake and open presents. I still can't believe he's 3! Time really does fly. He had a great day with his family, but I wish he could have had a party with his friend too. Maybe next year.The days start to get blurry again after that, we spent a day shopping. I wandered around with Andie and Mom. We had a blast trying on dirndls, and Mom was generous enough to buy them for us. (We will make time to wear them together, ladies!) I got some new clothes at H&M and Andie got some killer boots. It was a pretty great day because after that we met up with Donnie and Paul and his parents at the Hofbrauhaus. Good food, good fun and great company. It was a splendid day.
![]() |
| Sugar overload |
![]() |
| Lovin' Chocolate |
The day she left was also New Year's Eve, so Andie and I donned our dirndls and we all went out to a beer hall that we spent a lot of time at the summer we lived there. We had a 4 course dinner, which was spectacular, then headed upstairs for the party. Unfortunately, the party was full of older people and the music was a little silly, so when the fireworks were done at midnight, we headed home. It was still fun dancing with Donnie and Andie though. :) So glad to ring in 2014 with those two.
![]() |
| Cake overload <3 |
After saying goodbye to Andie, there wasn't much else to do except soak up Munich for the last day. We all shopped downtown for a few hours, hit the Augustiner, then went out to celebrate Donnie's birthday with Ron and Angie. It was a pleasant evening, but thoughts of travel the next day made the celebration bittersweet. Ron and Angie were so wonderful during the trip as well, they are invaluable to us and cherished by Paul especially. We miss them, and he misses them on a daily basis. It was nice to have such a long time with them.
Our departure from Munich had minimal stress, besides having to clean and get ready to go before we left. It was an easier travel home, and after 20 hours of travel, we were back in our spotless apartment. It felt like home, but it still feels a little bit like new. But I was thankful for a bed, and even though we've been struggling through jet-lag, I was thankful to be back.Getting back to work this week has been a struggle, not because work is hard, but because the jet-lag and the Munich-withdraw have been tricky. Hopefully, the worst is over.
![]() |
| One last pretzel |
In other news, I'm closing this blog. I started it in Feb of 2013, and labeled it New Beginnings. I think we're out of the beginnings, and it is past 2013 now. So onward we go. 2013 was an amazing year, I think back to the beginning and I couldn't imagine this is where I would be sitting. And I'm in awe of all that has happened. It's crazy to think how much has changed. 2014 will hold more than I can imagine, and I'm excited to see what's in store for us.
Thank you for reading. It means the world to me when people tell me they read my blog. I hope you tune into the adventures of the Hales in 2014. :) Love to all!
If you didn't see it on FB, here's the link to our video of more pics:
http://animoto.com/play/tBZ9jRkKTPo3619IGQLaGA





No comments:
Post a Comment