 |
| Candied bacon...whaaa?! |
Since I last wrote, it's been a whirlwind of traveling, preparations, hellos and farewells. On Saturday, we flew from Kauai to Honolulu with the intent to wander around Waikiki and go to a few restaurants that Donnie had researched. Unfortunately, I had stubbed my toe pretty badly and it left me in no walking condition. :( So when we arrived in Waikiki, we ambled around town for a while and finally ended up at a really cool gastropub away from the tourists. We ate delish tapas and sampled their beers and chatted with the people around us. It was a fun way to spend the evening. The highlight of the food was an order of candied bacon, whoa it was amazing.
 |
| My toe :( |
After that, we headed to our beach side hotel, and woke up in the morning refreshed, but my toe looked worse. Our flight back to Phoenix wasn't until the evening, so we had a leisurely morning in the hotel, then went to the movies to kill time. The Conjuring, yuck, but it was a really well made movie, and when it was over it was time to head to the airport. After a long wait, it was time to go home!!
 |
| Bye Waikiki! |
The flights seemed to stretch on forever! I was so anxious to get back to see Paul I couldn't stand it! We had a 8ish hour layover in Phoenix, which we had planned to say goodbye to my parents. My dad had to fly out that afternoon on business, so he met us at the airport. :) I was so happy to see him, and he looked happy too. He's got many adventures ahead of him and I love him so dearly. We chatted over breakfast sandwiches at an airport eatery for close to two hours before he had to head off to catch his flight. As he walked towards security, and Donnie and I headed town to be picked up, I had a flashback to when we parted in Florence some 8 years ago. My dad has been a rock in my life for so long, and I know the distance won't change that. Love you, Dad.
 |
| Thomas is ready to go home |
My mom picked us up from the curb downstairs and we headed back to her house. We had nothing planned, and those are the best kind of days. I hung out and chatted with my mom while Donnie took a nap. My mom is so amazing. She is such a powerful woman, but at times doesn't give herself enough credit. She gives me the strength to take on challenges I never thought I could face, and she supports me in every decision. I love her more than words. From their we visited our favorite place in Tempe, Four Peaks Brewery. Mom joined us for the first time! I think she liked it. ;) We went straight to the airport from there.
Finally on the plane home, I couldn't make those two hours go fast enough, and when the plane landed I ran (as fast as I could with a messed up toe) down to see Paul. The moment he saw me, he broke out into a run and jumped in my arms. It was the best feeling in the world, I felt whole again.
 |
| I'm whole again. |
The last few days have been a blur, just like I knew it would be. Tuesday I dyed my blond hair back to brown, and got to enjoy a delicious lunch with a few special ladies. I've worked with them for sometime now, and they've been amazing friends to me. I will miss our chats, our laughs, our goofiness and having them in my daily life. I know they will be in my heart forever and not far away. :)
 |
| Friends for life. Amazing women. |
After a little bit more packing, we headed over to a farewell dinner at one of our favorite places, Los Generales. It was fabulous to see all the friends and families that have made our lives so rich here in San Antonio. I will miss them all.
Today has been amazingly low key. Donnie left for golfing for most of the day, Paul and I ran errands and hung out at home. After a bank visit, and then dinner at Chuy's with Ron and Angie, Donnie and I made an epic push to finish packing. It's mostly done as I sit here, a few odds and ends in the morning, but we're mostly done.
 |
| Zach and Paul, buddies. |
I've been writing this post in my head for months now. Waiting for this moment and wondering how it would feel. I can honestly say I'm overwhelmed. I have so many emotions right now I can't even process them. I'm sure they will all hit me hard at some point and there will be some serious tears. I fought them back several times today. The past six years here in San Antonio have been more than I could've wished for. The people I have met, the family that has loved me, and of course having a baby here have made my life so much more than I ever imagined. I only hope my further adventures can compare.
 |
| We'll miss you guys!! |
So tomorrow, we leave midmorning, we will arrive in China on Friday night. It's a 16 hour flight from Chicago (our connection) to Hong Kong, from there we will be shuttled to our apartment. I will finally get to see our home for the next two years.
It will continue to be a whirlwind until we're settled, and a few weeks after school starts, but I'll post as soon as I can.
Much love San Antonio, you are a part of me, and I will cherish my time here forever. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment